Parsons, Kansas —
10. Milo: A misunderstanding, actually. When the nurse asked the name of the newborn, Dad had a hacking fit and muttered, “milo,” as an explanation for coughing — and the nurse wrote it down.
9. Dusty: The kid was born just before Dad decided it was too darn dry to plant double-crop beans.
8. Rocky: If you ever tried to farm the home place you’d understand.
7. Colt: Mom’s a barrel racer — ‘nuf said.
6. Daisy May — Dad pushed for Daisy Fleabane — because he had so much of it in the pasture — but you know how unreasonable new mothers can be.
5. Drake: A result of Dad’s fowl sideline — Rooster and Capon were rejected outright.
4. Remington: Because that’s exactly what he wished he had earlier in the day when he was chasing the neighbor’s bull out of the pasture.
3. Mike: Short for Microbial — Dad’s a pretty dedicated no-tiller.
2. Reginald: Not directly farm-related but the kid was born when a note was due and it was thought naming him after the banker couldn’t hurt.
1. Windy: Sounded better than Flattened Corn. £