by Mark Parker
Parsons, Kansas —
10. My husband called it a “thingamajig” and said you’d know exactly what he was talking about.
9. I can’t believe you don’t have it in stock—that baler can’t be more than 30 years old.
8. I bought it off Craig’s List and it was made in Uzbeckistan but surely you can get parts.
7. Well, before I kinda melted it with the cutting torch it was round with three or four holes in it.
6. Well, it’s too big and for the wrong model but with a little persuasion, I can make it work.
5. I need whatever the part is for the auto steer that keeps my son from knocking down mail boxes.
4. You wouldn’t want to swap that for a third mortgage on my place would you?
3. I’ve been pulling parts off one in the hedge row for years but I went out there the other day and there’s nothin’ left.
2. Heck, the sun was almost up when I got here—you guy’s keepin’ banker’s hours?
1. No, you don’t understand—I just wanted a part, not the whole tractor. £