by Mark Parker
Parsons, Kansas —
10. Put it behind your back, stuff it under your shirt—he can tell you’re hiding a halter and lead rope from a hundred yards away.
9. Headed away from the barn, he’s a little tired and stumbly. Pointed toward the barn, he’s all Man O’ War.
8. He understands the laws of physics well enough to know that, if you’re leaning right and he zigs left...
7. He can spot the vet’s pickup and the horseshoer’s rig as soon as they pull in.
6. Can you undo a latch with your nose or use a woven wire fence to remove nailed-on shoes?
5. He knows precisely when to throw his head as you try to squirt dewormer in his mouth.
4. Forget to lock his gate one time, just one time, and he’ll be trampling tulips as soon as you turn your back.
3. So you think stepping on your foot was an accident?
2. Making a mess as soon as he gets in the trailer is just one more way he expresses his opinion.
1. It’s cold and rainy. He’s in the barn. You’re out in it carrying feed and hay to him. ‘Nuff said.