Mark Parker —
10. With a little imagination and a really big hammer, he can make parts fit that ordinarily wouldn’t.
9. Although he didn’t do particularly well at math in school, he can figure interest payments in his head.
8. Who else can count out 173 black cows jostling along an eighth-mile dribble of cake — in the rear-view mirror?
7. From two hills away, he can ID the sound of the school bus, the UPS truck and the pickup owned by the neighbor who can talk and talk forever.
6. He’s a wizard at repairing a hole in the fence even though he has neither wire nor posts with him.
5. He can get way more uses out of a vaccination needle than the manufacturer suggests.
4. His long-term memory lapses come in darned handy when he’s telling his kids how to behave.
3. He recognizes the funny-looking shadow down the road as a blitzkrieg of armyworms marching toward his wheat.
2. Fix almost anything permanently? Nope. Fix almost anything for a little bit? You bet.
1. On the spot — and under pressure — he can come up with five semi-believable reasons for being late for supper.