Farm Talk

January 2, 2013

Deadline for FSA disaster loan applications


Parsons, Kansas — The expiration date for filing applications for Emergency Disaster (EM) loans by farmers and ranchers in Butler, Cowley and Sedgwick Counties is January 24, 2013, according to Gary Nuss, Farm Loan manager, for the Farm Service Agency (FSA).

Nuss advised that those needing farm credit as a result of severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds and flooding on April 14 through April 15, 2012 and who think they are eligible for FSA assistance, should make their applications at the FSA County Office, 2118 East 9th St., Winfield, Kan., before the expiration date.

“Loans covering physical and/or production losses are scheduled for repayment as rapidly as feasible, consistent with the applicant’s reasonable ability to pay,” said Nuss. The current interest rate is 2.125 percent but is subject to monthly changes until the loan is approved.

FSA’s Farm Loan Programs staff is committed to new and existing customers, FSA customer goals and our rural communities. FSA’s service extends beyond the typical loan, offering FSA customers ongoing consultation, advice and creative ways to make your farm business thrive. At the Farm Service Agency, we want to be your lender of first opportunity to overcome these adverse weather conditions and rebuild your operation to get back on track. FSA’s loan staff can refer customers to other public and commercial financing sources that can serve as a blend with FSA’s farm loan programs.

FSA loans covering physical losses may be used to replace installations, equipment, livestock, or buildings (including homes), lost through this disaster.

FSA loans covering production losses may be used to buy feed, seed, fertilizer, livestock, or to make payments on real estate and chattel debts. “Funds can also be used for other essential operating and living expenses,” Nuss said.

To be eligible for an emergency disaster loan, an applicant must be operating a family size farm or ranch, must be unable to get credit elsewhere, and must have suffered a qualifying physical and/or production loss from the disaster.

Farmers who suffered at least a 30 percent reduction to at least one cropping enterprise, may have a qualifying production loss. Emergency disaster production loss loans cover 100 percent of qualifying losses.

Farmers and ranchers that think they may eligible should contact the FSA County Office in Winfield, Kansas or call 620-221-2060 for additional information and how to apply. USDA is an equal opportunity employer and provider. £